Day of Surgery
AVS will call when we are on our way to your clinic.
Expectations prior to our arrival:
- Start the AVS checklist
- Check anesthesia machines for proper function and ensure O2 is on
- Place IV catheter
- Initiate IV fluid administration
- Administer preoperative sedation and clip the surgical area
- Calculate perioperative IV antibiotic – administer at time of induction
- Calculate peri-operative pain medications - both opiates and NSAIDS recommended for most cases
- Obtain post-operative radiographs
Administer post-operative pain medications and/or antibiotics
- Apply cold compress to incision site for 10-15 minutes
- Provide E-collar or “donut” collar
- Monitor anesthetic recovery
- Contact owner
- Confirm voluntary urination within 24 hours of surgery (if patient received epidural)
Acadiana Veterinary Surgery will be happy to recommend medications/dosages on a case-by-base basis.
We will provide all instrumentation, drapes, gowns/gloves.
We will provide epidural analgesia in appropriate cases, and also may perform regional analgesia.